The sheriff shall keep and preserve the peace within his county, for which purpose he is empowered to call to his aid such persons or power of his county as he may deem necessary. He must pursue and apprehend all felons, and must execute all writs, warrants, and other process from any court or magistrate which shall be directed to him by legal authority
The Sheriff's position is an elected official and serves a 4 year term. The Sheriff's department has 3 full time deputies, a secretary/bookkeeper and 5 fulltime & part-time Dispatcher/Jailers. Much of the work of the Sheriff's office is mandated by statute.
- investigate crimes and accidents
- serve arrest warrants within the county
- transport prisoners to prison
- transport committals to the Human Services Center in Yankton
- do executions of judgments
- register sex offenders within the county and assure compliance
- provide security for court.
- Administer the 24/7 program